maps & timetables
about port fairy
Maps & Timetables - LOCAL WALKING TRAILS
Griffiths Island Lighthouse WalkThe lighthouse was built in 1859 at the tip of Rabbit Island (subsequently linked with Griffiths Island) to allow seamen to locate the bay. The Outline of the lighthouse station is marked by Norfolk Island Pine rows, and there were two bluestone keeper's cottages standing by the causeway to the lighthouse until 1956. The gardens established by the lighthouse keepers can still be seen.
Mutton Bird Viewing
Griffith's Island is home to a Shearweater (mutton bird) colony numbering many thousands of birds.
Historic Town WalksThere are two walking tours available to introduce visitors to 30 historic buildings and locations. The map was prepared for the Borough of Port Fairy and is distributed by the Port Fairy Visitor Information Centre, Bank Street, 5568 2682.